Sunday, July 5, 2009

Gone With the Wind Part 1

This Sunday the 12th, the Tarrytown Music Hall will be showing Gone With the Wind. It's the 70th anniversary of this beloved and creepy paean to the Old South and it's a fairly rare opportunity to see it on a big screen in an old fashioned movie house.

Just to be clear, I hate this movie. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not an extraordinary and extraordinarily effective film. I just hate it's role in perpetuating the myth of some mystical Grand Old South. It's to the Confederacy what Triumph of the Will was to the Nazi's. Great film making with a repellent message.

The "grand" old culture of the antebellum South (neither grand or old), the death of which the film mourns, was a direct result of slavery. To celebrate and mourn the death of that culture and economy that is to implicitly embrace human bondage as a legitimate foundation for a society.

So I encourage everyone to go see the film and judge for them self. I'll be there (I haven't seen the damn thing in 30 years so maybe my opinon will have changed...)

No comments:

Post a Comment